Friday, 27 April 2012

Sock frenzy update, and yarn club joy

So after my sock frenzy of the last few weeks, I'm almost ready to publish my toe-up 'bedsock' pattern, I've conquered the Rosebud socks, and I was sure I was making progress when uh-oh, my pregnant friend's feet grew an inch.

So those proud little peachy socks I was showing off? All undone. Too tight. The pattern was a bit on the clutchy side anyway, and with a bit of water-retaining suddenly all bets are off for her shoe size in the next few weeks.

By the way, when I say 'making progress' with socks, I'm not sure what I mean. My feet, and the feet of everyone around me, are all fully covered. There is no major drive for knitted foot-coverings anywhere nearby. So progress towards...well, I suppose my ultimate goal will have to be 'to have knitted all the socks ever' which is going to be tough. But I can but give it a go!

More on the sock front, I'm joining the May 2012 Sockdown on the Sock Knitters Anonymous group on Ravelry - this month's challenge is lace, and there's a mystery sock (or 'mock'; isn't that cute?) which I may knit. I don't know how I feel about mystery. Too unknown-y. Yes, I'm aware that's the point. But still!

Talking of unknown-y, I've joined a yarn club (or two...) in an effort to bribe myself into curbing the Stashbeast. (Back! Back, I say!) So the point of the yarn clubs is to get yarn sent to you on specific dates in the year, or six months, or whatever period it's running for, and you just get...mysterious yarn Not Of Your Picking. I tend to pick some rather samey yarn - you know, you think 'that's the colour!' and get home and find you have three other skeins in the same colour? Anyway, this avoids that. Someone picks for me.

I've gone with an indy dyer and all-round Fibre Person, Alison of Yarnscape, who blogs and does good things here , for the Wheel of the Year Yarn Club. It's based around the old pagan festivals, sending out yarn on significant points in the old solstice-based calender. Each month's shipment is themed around things happening during that particular season, an idea I love to distraction.

So my first shipment, for May Day (or Beltaine) arrived today. I can't show you pictures yet in case someone also in the club hasn't had the packet yet and gets all surprise-ruined. But can I say it's awesome? I'm in the sock yarn club (all sock yarn all the time) so needless to say, this is a case of right skein, right time. I'll blog about it Monday though so you will get to see the utter loveliness!

The other yarn club I'm going to join is the Lunar Yarn Club by Woolenhorse, who you can find on Etsy. Another pagan yarn club, or paganish anyway. they ship out once a month to co-incide with the full moon, and each package is themed around that moon's events. If you join up for a year you get a thirteenth yarn - the 'blue moon', which is very exciting. Anyway, still hesitating over whether to go for sock yarn and lace yarn on alternate months, or all sock.

I guess it depends on how serious I am about knitting all the socks ever.

Maybe I need another yarnclub....

No comments:

Post a Comment